Facilitating groups is a big part of social work, you either love them or hate them. If the idea of facilitating a group is intimidating to you–You are NOT ALONE!
Most social workers are a little intimidated by group therapy…Today I will show you the intervention I used when I was invited as a special guest to co-facilitate an elementary girls group.
Ice Breaker: Rock Paper Scissors w/ a Twist
- Have each person in the group choose their favorite animal, color, etc. [For my group I used character/leadership skill they admire most].
- Have the audience or group pair up and introduce themselves by their fave/name, for example I was Loyal Lauren.
- The pair plays a game of rock paper scissors — the person that loses the game will then support their winning partner and find another pair/winner to compete against
- While the new game begins the supporting people chant and cheer for their winner “Loyal Lauren , Loyal Lauren…”
By the end you should have an engaged and happy atmosphere 🙂
Now on to the Character Building Activity…I settled the students by reading a book titled, The Smallest Girl In the Smallest Grade. This lead into the following art activity from another great resource book, School of Awake.
You will need
- 6 pennies per group member
- Colorful Permanent Markers
- Snack size zip lock bags
- Virtue Jewels PDF (print here)
- Print out the Virtue Jewel PDF for facilitators
- Pass out bag of 6 pennies to each group member
- Introduce activity by explaining the concept of virtues/ positive characteristics and letting the group know that they will be creating jewels to embody 6 virtues.
- Ask the members to draw a SUN (the symbol for the first virtue), read and discuss the virtue of Faith as the group members create their jewel
- Repeat step 4 for each of the following 5 virtues.
- Close by reviewing each jewels meaning and reminding the group that virtues can grow stronger within us if we “polish” them daily by practicing them in our daily lives.
I hope that you find my resources useful and as always if you have any questions please drop them below…Watch the video for my experience running this group and some countertransference that may occur.
Wishing you Social Work Success,
// related content you might like
→ PLAYLIST: Social Work Insight |
link → PLAYLIST: Aspiring Social Workers | what you need to know
The smallest girl in the smallest grade | video https://bit.ly/2kw2VkG |
School of Awake: A Girl’s Guide to the Universe | https://bit.ly/2L5sUuB
💛 Subscribe to my blog | https://wp.me/P3oVpy-1
📸 Follow my Insta | https://bit.ly/2F3vQVh ___
// F O L L O W 🌻
❀ instagram | https://www.instagram.com/socialworks…
❀ facebook | https://www.facebook.com/socialworksc…
❀ twitter | https://twitter.com/socialworkgems
❀ pinterest | https://www.pinterest.com/socialworks…